Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Too much technology? Check out this book...

As a mom of two teenage daughters, I often feel disconnected from my children as they embrace the latest technologies be it Facebook, Twitter, texting or what have you! I didn't realize how disconnected we were until my daughter texted me from the next room to see when dinner was going to be ready! So when I was looking for books to buy for the library, this title jumped out at me, The Winter of Our Disconnect by Susan Maushart.
The author bravely turns off (literally) all technology in the house and lives to tell the tale! She starts by shutting down the electricity and then gradually adds back basic modern conveniences. This book provides insight into how all of us, not just teens, have been sucked into the age of faceless interaction with our fellow human beings. Heady stuff, but always delivered with a sense of humor! I'm not sure if I could ever be so brave but I truly enjoyed this book!

P.S. For total irony, you can probably download a copy on your iPhone or your iPad!

No comments: